CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 28, 2008

Stage Coach Drivers


It seems that back in the old days, a stage coach company was advertising to hire a new stage coach driver. Three applicants had been selected for interviews. Each was asked the same question: "How close to the edge of the cliff can you drive and still be safe?" The first man said: "I am such a good driver that I can drive within one inch of the edge and still be safe." Not to be outdone, the second man answered: "I am such a good driver that I can drive with half the wheel over the edge and the other half of the wheel on the ground and still be safe." The third man's answer differed radically from the other two. He simply said: "I don't know how close I can safely drive near the edge of the cliff - I always stay as far away from the edge as possible." The third man got the job.

____________________________________________________________

I think that in our eating disorders we all try and get as close to the edge of the cliff as we possibly can without having our dietitians, therapists, medical doctors, etc feel that we are no longer safe. As tempting as it can be to hang on to the little pieces of our eating disorders that bring us feelings of comfort (keeping us close to the edge) I think that it is so important to try and let go of all of the little behaviors so that we can keep ourselves safe and healthy and set ourselves up for a successful life.

3 comments:

Krista said...

I know this is an old post but I thought I would comment anyway because I have been thinking bout what it means lately. I don't think right now in my life I am "driving close to the edge" but I also know that I am not driving as far away as possible. Some things are just so hard to get rid of.

PTC said...

I think you're right. Always pushing the envelope to see how far we can go without getting stopped by someone.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.